Search This Blog

Thursday 15 June 2017

13 Reasons Why - Episode 8

Why did the last one bring on such anger and this one bring on such pain?

13 Reasons Why
Episode 8: Tape 4, Side B

Mate, I don't know where to start. I like that Clay had the balls to think of himself for once but he just backtracked on it so...what was the point?

Plot: Clay gave up the tapes to Tony who proceeds to take him climbing. Hannah joins a poetry club where there is a plate of cookies. Hannah is (obviously) ultimately, horrifically betrayed.

Clay: Remember when I said that someone should give him medical attention or at least a plaster to cover his head gash because I just know something will happen and he's gonna get hurt again? Well, surprise surprise I was right. I'm getting sick of that feeling, to be honest...As I was saying, Clay is climbing this cliff face (I think) with Tony at Tony's request without any protective gear aside from some rope that Tony brings with them. At one point, some stones come loose and hit Clay in the face, hitting both the huge open wound on his head and in the eye, almost causing him to fall from his height. Can this boy just have someone looking after him at all times? I want him to be safe, stop hurting him. For real this is the only character I'm really latching onto so far aside from Hannah's mother (Kate Walsh). Bless him and keep him safe.

Tony: Bless this boy too. He was almost directly linked to Hannah's death in the sense that he didn't have the energy to deal with another human being's problems (which is a very ok thing to do if you've got your own shit to deal with, your own health is more important), the tapes show up at his door and he runs over to Hannah's where she's already dead. This is obviously a heartbreaking thing to see and is something I actually wanted to see from this series. People actually dealing with the suicide of a girl they knew, not the vengeance of the dead girl.

Pre-recorded: How far in advance did Hannah record these tapes? She couldn't have done it within the few hours between Tony saying he can't hear her shit right now and the tapes showing up at his door? I don't think so, especially considering she recorded two sets of them. I mean...I don't know what to even say, this girl clearly planned this out, it wasn't a spur of the moment, this was a very thoroughly thought out plan.

The betrayal: Hannah joins a poetry club and makes friends with Ryan (Tommy Dorfman) who she asks to help her be a better writer. She writes a lovely poem which Ryan asks if he can publish it in the school paper. I think she says no but I'm not sure. Anyway, he publishes it anonymously and the school reads it and a few people make fun of it. Like high schoolers would do. A couple of people work out that she wrote it but they don't call her out on it. They just giggle a tiny bit but they don't really seem to care. This obviously means that Hannah gives up her passion for writing and brings her that little bit closer to suicide.

Gay: Big shock, Tony is gay. I don't necessarily care about that but what I do care about is Tony's attitude. He and Ryan were once a thing apparently, but you see, they weren't friends. Quote: "You think I would be friends with a guy like Ryan?" I feel like you'd have to at least like him a tiny bit if you're gonna put your dick in him. Then again I don't know what the hate fucking community is like with gay guys so I can't really comment on it.

Hannah: Hannah's a dick but she writes beautifully, she should have listened to her teacher when she said it was good, she got the whole school talking about her writing. I understand that she would have been upset over this, she pours her soul out into her writing and people are laughing. If she'd left it a couple months and looked back on it maybe she would have seen the good it did. There was no reason for her to call Ryan self-serving when he published this poem anonymously for her, to get her voice heard. It just sucks that she's so bitter.

Anyway, that's what I thought of that. Peace out guys.

This is just my opinion and if you disagree then that's great, I'm open to discussion and I'm always interested to hear how you feel about this episode/series. This is also a critique which is considered "Fair Use" under the Copyright Act 1976. If you like this series then go and support its creators by watching it again on its platform.

No comments: