Search This Blog

Tuesday 13 June 2017

Wallace & Gromit - A Close Shave

This kind of disturbs me the more I think about it.

Director: Nick Park
Writers: Nick Park
               Bob Baker
Runtime: 30 minutes

Plot: Wallace falls for a woman who looks almost exactly like him while Gromit is framed for sheep rustling. 

This is the first one where Peter Salis wasn't the only one in the recording booth, he finally has other human beings to work off of and...it just doesn't work as well as the previous two. It's still good don't get me wrong, but there's just something about having more voices makes it more crowded I suppose. Not sure if that's even the right wording I should have used but it's the only one I can think of.

The good things in this are all the little things that are not exactly hidden but you wouldn't really notice them unless you knew to look for these kinds of things. Such as when Gromit is in prison, the words Feathers was 'ere is written on the wall which is a call back to the last film but then we see that this is a regular prison and last time we saw Feathers he was in a zoo. How many times has this penguin been in and out of jail? Another cool little thing was the book Gromit was reading, we're used to seeing dog puns here and I just love them, this one is no different. Gromit is reading a copy of Crime and Punishment by Fido Dogstoyevsky. Once again, that shit is hilarious. Finally, and arguably the best thing about this film, it's the very first appearance of Shaun the Sheep.

The bad things? Well...there's one but honestly, it's just a theory of mine that's barely got any evidence but the evidence that's there is enough for me to draw this conclusion. I have come to the conclusion, that Wallace and Wendolene (Anne Reid) are related somehow.
...I'm aware of what a stretch that is but bear with me.

So there's the fact that these two look...eerily similar right? She's just a female version of Wallace without the love of cheese...or tinkering with inventions, but her father was. Maybe the "inventive" gene or whatever is only in the men of the family. Like the smart gene only being in the Simpson women in The Simpsons. Maybe their mother loved cheese so much (just like Wallace does) that it impacted their marriage that she scooped up little Wallace and took off into the night, leaving her cheese hating husband/boyfriend and daughter behind. Wouldn't be such a far fetched idea considering Wallace has a bit of a crisis over the fact that Wendolene is allergic to it. I understand how fragmented this might seem with all this evidence but watch this again with this in mind and tell me I'm not onto something. Dare you.

That's it from me today, sorry I've not done this every day as I said I would but I was writing Thursday night until the election results got involved and I was pinned to that the whole night, then I was away and barely had good internet to update so...it's here now, can't complain about that. Peace out tho guys.

This is just my opinion and if you disagree then that's great, I'm open to discussion and I'm always interested to hear how you feel about this short. This is also a critique which is considered "Fair Use" under the Copyright Act 1976. If you like this short then please go and support its creators by buying the DVD or Bluray.

No comments: