Search This Blog

Sunday 7 May 2017

13 Reasons Why - Episode 4

What the fuck is up with everyone?!

13 Reasons Why
Episode 4: Tape 2 side B

So far, this episode has the worst message with the worst intention. Make your own justice. I can see how that can be a good thing I mean, as a teenager nobody takes you seriously and at one point I've had to get my own justice for something but that doesn't mean it's right. You shouldn't do that. I in no way advocate violence in any way and you definitely shouldn't encourage others to be violent to another person. It's not funny, all you're doing is giving another person pain or fear. If you feel so strongly about what this person has done to you, talk to the police. Do not insight violence on others.

Episode plot: Hannah has a stalker and decides to encourage others to damage that person's home, Clay takes it to a whole other disgusting level.

Marcus: Marcus (Steven Silver) is my absolute favourite person in this episode. First, he shows up in this really cool sombrero that lights up and plays a song. My absolute favourite hat. Then he brings us a well-needed slice of truth. Clay says something about the rules of listening to the tapes which...I literally don't remember them, I really don't, to which Marcus tells him -
Quote: "Dude, Hannah's dead. I'm sorry but it's true, nothing anyone did to her was any different than what happens to every girl that ever went to high school. She just wanted attention. And then leaving those tapes? That's a fucked up thing to do, no one deserves that."
Seems to sum up my thoughts on her pretty well. The only thing I didn't like about him was that he called Taylor (Devin Druid) a psycho. I mean yeah he did some gross things but not psychopathic.

Taylor: So what did he do to be called a "psycho"? He stalked Hannah, took pictures of her in her bedroom and took pictures of her making out with Courtney (Michele Selene Ang) and then had the gall to spread one of the pictures around school when she rejects him. This is horrible behaviour but in no way deserves what comes to him.

What Hannah should have done was talk to either someone at the school with Courtney, they have the proof that photos were taken, they both caught him at the same time and maybe he had backup copies on his phone or in his dark room. All they had to do was keep quiet about telling someone about it and he'd have been busted and suffered the proper consequences.

Hannah: Good fuck I don't know what the worst thing she's done so far is. She made these tapes blaming everyone in her life for this. She made a second set of the tapes because why the shit not. She never left her parents a tape or a note to ease their thoughts (to an extent). She didn't have to give them 13 tapes telling them who did it and how she could just tell them that her head wasn't in the right place to carry on living or something like that. Maybe just a note telling them it's not their fault. I dunno, just a shitty move. Finally, she encourages the people who listen to the tapes to throw rocks at Taylors window. That's a new level of shitty.

She says she wants him to feel what she felt, to not feel safe in his own bedroom. How nasty is that? How sadistic is that? How can she wish that on someone else? What if she was beaten and raped in her own room? Would she wish that on whoever did that to her? Fucking disgusting, honestly.

Clay: Speaking of disgusting behaviour, Clay, as I said before, takes it to a new level. Rather than throw a rock at his bedroom window, he takes a picture of Taylor from behind, naked and sends it around in a group message to the whole damn school. When Tony asks him "what the hell?" (see it's in this one too just not directed at Tony) Clay replies "Making my own justice." I'm not sure the exact wording but it was something along that line. And that is vile behaviour.

If there are kids watching this, like 12-18-year-olds, do not take this as how you should deal with things. Actually y'know what, no matter how old you are, don't do this shit. Just because someone did this to you doesn't mean you should do it back or get people to do it to you. Do not be this horrible. This episode promotes violence and violation of privacy because "they deserve it". Nobody deserves it and please do not listen to the message of this episode. Anyway, that's me done for the day, I'm hungry I'm gonna go get food. Peace out guys.

This is just my opinion and if you disagree then that's great, I'm open to discussion and I'm always interested to hear how you feel about this episode/series. This is also a critique which is considered "Fair Use" under the Copyright Act 1976. If you like this series then go and support its creators by watching it again on its platform. 

No comments: