Search This Blog

Monday 24 April 2017

Shrek 5?!

Because I had to find out about this when I had a busy ass morning...

Do you remember that film from 2001 that was basically a huge animated middle finger to Disney? Of course you do, it's a huge fucking meme at this point. It wasn't a great film but it beat out Monsters Inc for the first best animated picture award at the Academy Awards so...someone saw something in it I guess. Since then, it's managed to have a fairly successful life with a really good sequel, an impressively poor third film and a pointless fourth. Add onto that 2 Puss in boots spin-offs, 7 short films, 2 television specials and a Puss in boots series, and then there's every single Shrek meme plus a fucking musical. So it begs the question, with all this material to sate the masses, why a 5th film?

I'm not making this up either, I don't know when this was officially announced but I just watched something on Youtube and my naive little mind thought that it couldn't possibly be true. Unfortunately, it is. For some reason, we must all suffer from another fucking Shrek movie. Who even asked for this? I know I didn't, I know nobody I know asked for this. Maybe Ben but that could be for the memes.

I looked into it further and it was announced last year...I'm painfully late to finding this out but whatever, I'm mad about it now so I'm gonna talk about it. Anyway, given the amount of time this news has been out, what information do I have to pass on? Its release year is 2019, I've not found a specific date but my guess is that it will be a summer release. More kids are going to want to see it and what better time to get them? Summer holidays makes sense. What else? Eddie Murphy may be on board to do it, the script is apparently finished and according to Murphy in an interview with Cinemablend, he says Quote: "They took a nice long break [after 2010's Shrek Forever After]. The next Shrek...I think Jeffrey [Katzenberg] told me 2019? 2019 or 2020, it will be ready. But they've got a good script, they wrote a nice good script." The screenplay has been written by Michael McCullers, the man behind the second and third Austin Powers films.

What I don't know for sure is whether this will be a direct sequel or a reboot of the series. Some of the sites I've looked at have said it's a reboot/reimagining of the series. If they went with that, what would that mean for the original cast? Would they be involved? If it's not that, then what the hell kind of story is it going to be? Maybe they'll do something darker with it, something like what the Cars 3 trailer is promising.

I'm really not interested in the idea of this but you know I'm going to end up fucking seeing it, just like I'm going to end up seeing Cars 3, Toy Story 4 and literally anything else that's not needed. Why did I even take the time to write this at dick o'clock in the morning? I'm going to see my friend perform at uni then go to Wales with my boyfriend, I don't have time for this. Fuck sake. A'ight, I'm mildly annoyed by this. Peace out and have a good day guys.

No comments: