Search This Blog

Monday 20 February 2017

Lego Batman

Ooooh look at that, two reviews in one day.
I also wonder what this would be like as a live action movie with Ben Affleck and Jared Leto....

Director: Chris McKay
Writers: Seth Grahame-Smith (screenplay & story)
                Chris Mckenna (screenplay)
                Erik Sommers (screenplay)
                Jared Stern (screenplay) 
                John Whittington (screenplay)
                

So before I went to see this I watched a couple reviews of the Lego Batman movie I'll whack some links at the end of this because I really do love watching these two guys. Anyway, they've both said it's a really funny movie and I disagree with them. It is kind of funny but not...laugh a minute anyway.

I actually wouldn't say this is just a comedy, it's more of a romantic comedy. Yeah, there's some sort of romance between Batman and the clown prince of crime, I mean..romance is probably the wrong word but then so is bromance...hatemance? I don't know but the Joker is played like that girlfriend who is dating a guy who won't admit he's in a relationship. It's weird in a way but there's weirder shit in this...like did you know Voldemort, King Kong, Godzilla and a few others are a part of the Lego DC universe? It's pretty damn cool right? Except the fact that now I want a Lego Harry Potter movie series because I saw Lego Voldemort and I really hope that idea gets some sort of backing to become a reality.

Going back to the point about this film being advertised as really funny, the film doesn't know what it's even doing with its jokes, there's a pro Suicide Squad joke followed up a moment or two later by a joke bashing the idea of it. There are a couple of jokes about Robin's suit but they sort of don't make sense. For me, the best jokes were the outside references and anything to do with the Joker being mopey about his relationship with Batman.

Character design was pretty good too...I mean, it's Lego so...y'know it's gotta look like that and the characters the material is based on but they looked good, aside from the first scene that you see with the Joker. There's a moment where he smiles and the way the animation makes his face change almost looks like Jack Skellington from The Nightmare Before Christmas, this choice in animation also prompted a small child to start crying a couple rows behind us but I thought it was a weirdly cool thing to put in there. Whether it was intended to be a reference to the Pumpkin King or not, I liked it.

Other than that. this is a pretty good DC related film, it's finally a good entertaining satire of the dark knight that isn't dated and doesn't seem like a complete insult to its fan base. In fact it felt quite true to the character of Batman in a somewhat alternate reality where the party boy Bruce Wayne persona is quite a big part of the Batman rather than the dark and brooding side we've all come to accept that is just Batman as cinema goers.


Anyway if you haven't seen this film I highly recommend it, and here are the links to the two reviews I saw on Youtube before I went to see the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVbTC2UXRgI - Chris Stuckman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU6ZgiX-KUM - Jeremy Jahns

This is just my opinion and if you disagree then that's great, I'm open to discussion and I'm always interested to hear how you feel about this film. This is also a critique which is considered "Fair Use" under the Copyright Act 1976. If you like this film please go and support it's creators by buying tickets to go see it in cinemas / buying the DVD or Bluray when the time comes.

No comments: