Search This Blog

Friday 17 February 2017

Ghost

This isn't a scary movie but you might cry...

Director: Jerry Zucker
Writer: Bruce Joel Rubin

I don't know a single person who doesn't like this film, and I get why I haven't, it's just so damn good. Even my mum was into it, and she was never much of a film person but whenever this was on tv she'd watch it. She wasn't one of those people who were only into it for Patrick Swayze either which is cool. Anyway, this isn't about my mum's opinion on this, it's about mine. I love this film, it's one of the few films outside Disney and Pixar productions that make me  ̶s̶o̶b̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶b̶o̶r̶n̶ ̶b̶a̶b̶y̶  cry.

Aside from the crying, though, I just have a couple of nitpicky points I'm gonna get out of the way. First of all the effects are a both a little dated but still look damn good, not like Jurassic Park but still good, the biggest fault with the effects would be the animation on those ghost demon things with the chains that take the bad guys away once, that stuff's pretty dated and looks a little off but at the very least it's creative and you definitely can't fault it for that. The cat in this film is named kitty, I'm honestly not sure whether that's even a criticism or not, like it seems lazy but if I suddenly got a new cat in my life I'd probably call it kitty. Hell, I even call my own cat kitty now, not even sure whether he even knows his name anymore he gets called that much other shit. There's a moment where Molly (Demi Moore) breaks a jar with a lucky penny in it. I understand the meaning behind it but it bothered me more than it should because...that shit's on her stairs now, she's gotta clean it up and with the mood she's clearly in, that's not gonna be a fun thing to do and she's gonna be pretty annoyed with herself.  What else is there? There's Carl (Tony Goldwyn) flirting with and kissing a crying Molly, what a shitty move. It's not indicated how much time has gone by since Sam's (Patrick Swayze) death, but obviously, it's still in that raw stage for her. Pro tip, don't make a move on anyone that's crying. Finally, at the end of the film just after the big climax, the light comes back for Sam, she can see and hear him, yet the first time the light came for him she couldn't and there wasn't really any explanation for that. That's it I think like I said it's mostly nitpicky aside from that last point but every film has its problems.

That paragraph is bigger than what I thought it would be...wow. Ok positives, Whoopie fuckin' Goldberg. She plays the psychic Ode Mae Brown and she's obviously the comedy relief in this thing but damn is she good at it. Though no matter what situation she finds herself in, it's oddly relatable. I'm not sure how to explain it other than, if you were being haunted by a stubborn ghost, you'd more than likely be just as irritated. She has an incredible fashion sense, the first time you see her she's in this gold dress thing and I swear I want that thing. She's also got this skirt and bright pink blazer with black decoration and I really want that too. This woman is just all over my favourite thing here. Towards the end of the film, Demi Moore (no surprise) finally believes Goldberg about Swayze being there, there's a short conversation and then Golberg suggests Swayze jumps into her body and has his final contact with Moore. He does this and we see Swayze and Moore spend an emotionally intimate moment together. The funny thing about this is that yeah, we see the two lovers have what could be their last moments together, but if anybody else saw this, they'd see a silent room with Goldberg and Moore having that intimate moment. It's a sweet sentiment but when you think about it, it could create some odd fanfiction.

Speaking of Moore, she did a good job of playing the grieving girlfriend. There are parts I personally didn't understand, such as where she talks about not wanting to go outside but after thinking about it Swayzee get's murdered out in the streets so...it's pretty understandable that she wouldn't want to go out, if not through fear, it'd be that she wouldn't want to be where her loved on died. That's just a nitpick, grief is different for everybody. Aside from that Moore did a great job of playing someone trying to move on with her life while all these odd interruptions happen to block her from doing so. I also heard that whenever she had a romantic scene with Swayze, she kept farting. I'm not sure if that's true or if it was Jennifer Gray in Dirty Dancing, I just thought it was pretty interesting.

Then we got the talented, late Patrick Swayze. Personally, I never found him all that attractive, I mean yeah for the time he was decent and he definitely had a good bone structure, it's his acting that I always preferred. I absolutely love his performance in this, from his death where he's not even sure he died to his irritation of Whoopie Goldberg singing I'm Henry The Eighth I am the whole night, to learning about his life as a ghost to finally being able to move on, every single facial expression that comes from him is just golden. I don't think I even found anything I could say totally blew me away or was especially bad about his performance but it was just good. That's it...next.

Everything else in this was pretty good, nothing amazing that completely stand out like WOW but other than that, it was pretty good, if you've not seen it like, then go see it. It's pretty good.

This is just my opinion adn if you disagree then that's great, I'm open to discussion and I'm always interested to hear how you feel about this film. This is also a critique which os considered "Fair Use" under the Copyright Act 1976. If you like this film then go and support it's creators by buying the DVD or Bluray.

No comments: